Thursday, November 20, 2008

Is it in you?

"Sweat is the cologne of accomplishment."


The above quote can be found in the receptionist's desk of the Caldwell College Fitness Center. Now, as a frequent, 4-6 times a week visitor of my school's gym I was particularly intrigued to find this simple quote written on a piece of lined notebook paper pasted to the edge of the desk for any keen eye to notice. But what does it mean exactly? Is it meant to motivate the visitors or just some sort of inside joke? Is it the sweatier you are the more you feel you have accomplished? I'm not really sure what to take it for, but I do know hard work is definitely not measured in liters of sweats. It is all about desire.

Desire is something uncontrollable. It is a passion that takes over and engulfs one in a tunnel of motivation. The above video is something that consistently guides me into this tunnel. For example, one night after returning from the gym and taking my usual hot shower, I sat at my computer bored and went to my favorite YouTube videos and came across this Nike commercial. My roommate and I, both life-long softball players, screamed and remembered this exact video as the commercial that aired throughout the 2008 Beijing Olympics. But as it began, silence fell. Chills overcame and we remembered our one true love. It is the game that never lets you down, almost like a warm friend. It is an escape from realities. It is why we are here, and what we are today. We play and we become "the happiest girls in the whole USA." The video closed out and we were left breathless. Next thing I know, we both grabbed our gloves, bundled up in coats, boots, and beanies to go play play catch on the lawn in front of Rosary Hall at 11 o'clock at night. Everything else went away. Nothing mattered because I was doing what I was meant to do, and doing it solely because of MY desire to play. No other intentions than to do what made me happy. Play because I love it, something I had recently forgotten. I'd never felt so gloriously happy in my life. Its my one true love.

No comments: