Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Word on the 'Fridge.

"Promise yourself to be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind. Look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true. Think only of the best, work only for the best, and expect only the best. Forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future. Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others. Live in the faith that the whole world is on your side so long as you are true to the best that is in you!" -Christian D. Larson


Photobucket


Let me start by telling you the short story of how I managed to come across this particular quote. On my first trip to New York city upon moving to northern New Jersey, I was with my parents. Just the three of us. In one of the tourist shops we stopped at in Times Square
, there was a rack filled with magnets, cards, and postcards with quotes written on them. Some of the quotes were famous verses by Shakespeare or Robert Frost while others were by anonymous authors. Now being a person who loves reading quotes, writing them down, memorizing them, I just had to take a look. I decided I would grab a few cards to send back home to friends and possibly a magnet for the new mini fridge that would soon be in my dorm room. All of the quotes were so amazing and I could not for the life of me decide on the one I really wanted. Finally, I landed on a simple, white square and on it was written the above quote. It was perfect. I love anything motivational and inspiring so this would fit right in my new living space. Because I knew I'd need a lot of motivation to get me through the coming months of being on my own.

So yes, that's right. This blog entry is about a quote on a magnet that hangs on the mini fridge in my dorm.

And I absolutely love it. Anytime I'm feeling down I just read this quote and it never fails to make me feel better. There are times when having this magnet has come in handy. For example, when my roommate was going through a hard time with the ending of a relationship, I gave her this quote to read. And as corny as it sounds, it made her feel much better. It even hung on the metal posts of our bunk beds for a period of time. So any time I'm looking for a little pick me up when life's got me down, I just look to the words on the 'fridge.



Quotes are somethings I use for motivation. Is there anything in particular that motivates you and uplifts your spirits?

2 comments:

Samantha said...

I really like that quote! It's hard to be optimistic sometimes but it's definitely something to aspire to. =)

Anonymous said...

I love that quote a lot. Very uplifting! My favorite quote is: "To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries, avoid all entanglements, lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket -safe, dark, motionless, airless - it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. The alternative to tragedy is damnation. The only place you can be perfectly safe from all the dangers and perturbations of love is Hell."
~C.S. Lewis

It's rather long, but I think it's just so true and eloquently written.

I really hope you keep up this blog Marisa...you have some really great posts on here, and I always love reading what you have to say. :-)